On Thu, 29 May 2003 15:49:40 -0700
"Gary Funck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> First, let me second those att-a-boys. Spamassassin is a demonstration of
> what a full spectrum, high technology implementation can do. It solves an
> important problem, and solves it well. Congrats to the SA team (and to the
> supporting cast of Razor, Pyzor, DCC and the RBL's).
>
> > OK, time for show and tell, I guess. This is yesterday on one of my two
> > SA+MD relays:
> > spam: 34,587
> > clean: 16,882
> > bounced: 426
> > discarded: 719
> > skipped: 6310
> > processed: 58,924
> >
> > (I forgot to count access_db bounces, oh well... this shows what SA+MD
> > alone processed)
>
> Would you please explain what those categories mean, above? thanks.

What would be really cool is a reasonable standard definition of the
above categories, a nice script that generated those numbers from common
mailserver logs, simple site categories (# of local users, role as
institutional, ISP, or home user) and a way to automatically report spam
stats to (say) news.spamassassin.org. It'd be nice to have a consistent
if unscientific metric of spam/ham ratios to confirm/counter whatever
Garnter and the DMA are claiming. I only hear isolated anecdotes of
spam/ham ratios at other sites and it'd be nice to compare my results to
the aggregate. A consistent reporting methodology would help.

Anything that suggests best practices among admins is probably a good
thing. Providing more that just Gartner white papers to management when
proposing SpamAssassin (or any spam defense) can only help the
deployment of spam defenses in organizations unsure of success rates and
leery of losing desired mail.

And yes, I'm willing to hack on spamstats (http://www.gryzor.com/tools)
or equivalent perl code to make this so. There's no point in suggesting
a project if you aren't expecting to be named project lead as a
result... :)

A lot of people use SA in lots of differet ways on many different
scales, from simple tagging to aggressive rejection, sitewide across a
mailserver farm or locally via procmail. It'd be nice to see the
popularity of each approach along with the success rate.

Hmm, maybe this is a more appropriate topic for SAdev.

Thoughts?

--
Bob Apthorpe