On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 08:59:36AM -0700, Greg A wrote:

> The way I read the license was that you can not sell SA software.
> You can only charge for duplication fees, installation or
> maintenance but not for the software or customized versions derived
> from it. I could be wrong, I am not a lawyer...

> The way some on the list have responded would suppose that anyone
> can copy SpamAssassin, modify it or integrate it, change the name of
> it and then resell it for thousands. (ie, Mailshield). This does not
> make sense to me. (Here is the link again.)

You need to re-read the license again. SpamAssassin has a dual GPL/PAL
license, and Mailshield has apparently decide to follow the PAL
portion of it. Re-read the PAL and you'll see that it's a little less
restrictive than you think. However, we, the SpamAssassin developers,
should look into this to ascertain that MailShield is following the
license.

> There is also the possibility, as one person posted, that the SA
> Copyright holder or holders have worked a deal with Lyris. If this
> is the case they should make this deal known to the SA community
> IMO.

That has not happened and will not happen.

--
Duncan Findlay