Hi,

Could be if he's never experienced it before. We do something similar for company's based on qmail/vpopmail

$400 (CAD)

Qmail / Vpopmail Installation
Clamd Anti-virus
Qmail-Scanner
SA
QmailAdmin
SquirrelMail
MySQL (for user prefs for SA)
dnscache

Usually takes me about 4 hours to set it all up starting from scratch. I've done two so far this week and an waiting on a 3rd machine to start the next one.

Maintenance is usually about 1 hour a week just to check on log files etc. The client pays me $100 per month to keep me on retainer in case they need an emergency upgrade.

Just my $0.02

Regards,

Rick

Stephen Bannasch wrote:

I have a question for the group. How much work is it to install and maintain a mailhost integrated with spam assassin for a company of about 40 employees. We have experience with sendmail and linux.

My IT guy gives the following estimate. He's comparing this with the administrative cost for installing and running PureMessage.

-- Time estimates for an open source solution:
-- 60+ hours to setup and test sendmail/anti-virus/RBL/anti-spam
software from source.
-- 8 hours every month to verify that things are working and up to date
-- 8 hours every month to upgrade software (sendmail/RBL/virus/spam, all
different)
-- 8 hours of down time every month while working and testing

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.Net email is sponsored by: INetU Attention Web Developers & Consultants: Become An INetU Hosting Partner. Refer Dedicated Servers. We Manage Them. You Get 10% Monthly Commission! INetU Dedicated Managed Hosting http://www.inetu.net/partner/index.php _______________________________________________ Spamassassin-talk mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/spamassassin-talk