> I think what might eventually happen is that ISP's start blocking egress
> on port 25 from all but their own mailserver(s) which forces all the
> customers within their ip range to relay through their server. That way
> they can run something like spamassassin on *outgoing* messages and, for
> example, block outgoing messages with a score over 20 outright, and flag
> anyone who repetitively sends messages between 10 and 20 for ISP staff to
> check and determine if one of their customers is trying to spam.

If I got that right...

That will be impractical and really rude. Blocking outgoing traffic on
port 25 will effectively force me (and a lot of others) to change SMTP
servers when changing location.

I change physical location (and therefore ISP) regularly -- Laptops are
designed for that purpose. ISPs only accepting SMTP connections to their
own servers, if I am within their IP range, already forced us to have
our own SMTP server (of course using authentication). Don't get me
wrong, this is good.

Now, if I may no longer reach my own SMTP server, I have to change SMTP
server settings every time I am on the road again.

Well, I can imagine some ways to automate this procedure and make it
transparent. But none right now without any caveats, stumbling blocks or
customization for any given location.

...guenther

--
char *t="[EMAIL PROTECTED]";