At 07:56 23/06/03 -0400, Jack Gostl wrote:

What bothers me is that they are proposing new restrictive legislation
that will be almost impossible to enforce, while ignoring the fact that at
least 50% of the spam is about fraudulent products and the products could
be prosecuted on their own merits. (Or lack of same.) In fact, I just
looked at my current spam collection, I'd say that its closer to 80%. The
organ enlargers and Viagara fakes could be prosecuted with laws already on
the books, and spam levels would drop dramatically.

The FTC (in the US) is already doing just that. They can't go after spam in general, but they *can* and do go after spam that hawks fraudulent products etc.... However I suspect that they're woefully understaffed for the job at hand :)

Regards,
Simon