At 17:00 4/08/2003 -0700, Justin Mason wrote:

Simon Byrnand writes:
>Whitelisting this list in spamassassin doesn't help prevent it from being
>autolearnt - because the whitelist scores don't contribute to deciding if a
>message triggers the autolearn thresholds or not....
>
>Having said that, I havn't personally seen a problem with autolearn trying
>to learn inappropriate messages from this list....
>
>(I don't whitelist this list or have any special exclusions for it...)

No, me neither.

Occasionally (maybe one or two messages per hundred on this list) someone will post a copy of an actual spam which hits enough body tests to trigger and put it in my spam folder, but I probably didn't want to see that message anyway as I get enough spam of my own ;-)

But I've never seen conversation on this list come remotely near the threshold, even conversation discussing things that trigger a couple of rules... partly due to BAYES which tends to give a decent negative score to plain text conversation like this message.

The way I look at it, if the autolearn system is so vulnerable to poisoning by processing a list like this, then its too vulnerable to be used in any sitewide capacity. Fortunately thats not the case... ;-)

BTW the AWL helps.

I've mainly stayed away from AWL because a few people have suggested that sitewide enabling of AWL is a bad idea. Is that the case ?

By default will it try to use one common AWL database, or will each user have their own AWL database ? If both options are possible which is recommended ?

Regards,
Simon