At 11:36 PM 9/21/03 -0700, Mike Klein wrote:

Basically email consisted of an all caps subject "INCREASE YOUR PEN*S SIZE
NOW!!!" and several lines in the body with same text and a url to go to.
BTW, I didn't make the above typo in my email...I spelled the organ part
correctly.

<snip>

Why is the rating system so abysmal?

Rather than try to trick SA into thinking a nonspam message is spam, and wondering why it saw through your deceptions, I'd try to focus on how well real spam is handled.

SpamAssassin tends not to draw much strength from a single phrase match. You've managed to create an email that might have a phrase or two from spam, but it was also created in such a way that it was sent by a legitimate mailer, and was transferred in a legitimate way.

SA draws a significant portion of it's strength from examining the message headers for signs of forgeries. Also the HTML coding, and urls used in real spam tend to have little subtle differences from the ones used by you and I.. Ever notice that spammers tend to use IP addresses, escape sequences, and confusing http usernames that look like domain names in their URLs? Ever notice that their message-id's are strange, and they always seem to be transferred from a different mailserver system than the From: line would indicate?

All that said, SA isn't perfect, and some spam does get by it out of the box. I've often been quoted on the list as saying that the ruleset of the 2.5x series is significantly weaker than the ruleset of 2.43. However, a lot of this weakness is made up for by the great power of the bayes engine, something I highly recommend training if you want to get good results and have the time to work with. The addition of bayes was a significant part of the focus of the 2.5x development process, and the general ruleset suffered slightly from this shift in developer attention.

------------------------------------------------------- This sf.net email is sponsored by:ThinkGeek Welcome to geek heaven. http://thinkgeek.com/sf _______________________________________________ Spamassassin-talk mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/spamassassin-talk