Hi,

It's been done. See http://freenet.sourceforge.net

> A P2P DNSBL? interesting. I've also thought about this a little since
> the death of Monkeys but also have no idea about how this would be
> implimented, but certainly the model of something like direct connect
> could work. Whereby a registration to a service would be required before
> a seed is released. Once the seed was realized, the new participating
> DNSBL could learn from that seed other DNSBLS, and replicate the data,
> and then (maybe?) do the RBL lookups locally.
>
> Obviously, the file (zone) transfers involved would be reasonably large
> (anyone have any ideas on who big a DNSBL from someone like SpamHaus
> would be?)

Note that there's no reason to use DNSBLs if the BL is queried locally.
Just generate access lists for sendmail, postfix, exim, and qmail (all
of which are much smaller than BIND zone files; not sure about tinydns,
djbdns, and the other rbldns[d]? servers.) and ship those around. DNS
was only used because it was a convenient distributed hierarchal
database, not because DNS is special.

If you make a DNSBL accessible to the public, it will be DDoS'd off the
net. Hell, the root nameservers have been attacked for extended periods
without consequence to the attacker and there's no political will among
the Tier-1 providers to find and disable the tens of thousands of
0wnz0r3d zombies out there.

There's quite a bit of discussion on SPAM-L about making this work;
that's a better forum than SATalk for discussing the future of
distributed blocklists.

-- Bob