On Thu, 2 Oct 2003, Sean McCrohan wrote:

> Presently, because of limited system resources, I've set a very conservative
> max-scan-size for spamc - I don't want to burden the system with grinding
> through those large files. However, this generally means that large messages
> come straight through :)
>
> In almost all cases, very large messages get their bulk from attachments that
> are of a type that SA can't usefully scan anyway.
>
> Is there any way to get SA to just DISREGARD, say, any MIME attachment over
> 50k, while still scanning the rest of the message?
[snip..]

Take a look at MIMEDefang; http://www.mimedefang.org
It knows how to "take apart" a MIME message and feed just the text
parts to SA.
You can also use it with an AV scanner (such as ClamAV) to virus scan
suspicious binary attachments. (Note that adding in AV will take more
CPU/memory, but nice option to have ).

My understanding is that there are other packages such as
www.mailscanner.info which can do similar things.

Dave

#include <std_disclaimer.h>