Matt Kettler wrote on Mon, 06 Oct 2003 11:16:04 -0400:

> If you're using it, disable bayes and see what happens.. Bayes is a very
> heavy memory consumer and could be a significant portion of the problem.
> Disabling it will at least help clarify if it's bayes database size
> related, or something else.

Hi Matt, thanks for your answer. Do you refer to the initial size (28 MB
which is a bit more than most users of this list report) or to the "eating
memory" problem?
I disabled bayes and spamd launches with exactly the same memory use: 28 MB
(28368 KB SIZE, 27M RSS, 2316 KB SHARE in top). So, there's no difference.
BTW: the bayes db is around 20 MB and contains 15.000 spams and 2.000 hams
or so. Not small, but also not huge, I think.
As for the "eating memory" problem, it simply shouldn't occur with or
without bayes. Maybe I wasn't clear in my first posting. This is not
something which generally happens here after a while. I haven't seen it at
all until some weeks ago where it happened the first time with rc3 or rc6.
Then last week it happened with the final version and a whackingly 800 MB
consumed (most of that biting in the swap file since the machine doesn't
have that much RAM). These are the only occurences. Each one happened on
another machine, so I'd see either spamd or Perl as the possible culprit.
If it were bayes, I'd expect it to slowly grab more and more memory until
it gets unsuable. But that is not the case. It runs for days and weeks at
the same memory consumption and then suddenly starts grabbing memory.
Unfortunately, I don't know when it starts and how fast it grows, I just
see the result.

That's in my local.cf, is there anything I should change? I do not need
"full" reports at all, my milter just grabs the score and the header
report. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way to tell spamd to just
deliver that, or is there?

rewrite_subject 0
report_safe 0
use_terse_report 1
skip_rbl_checks 1
ok_languages en de fr en pt
ok_locales en
check_mx_attempts 2
dns_available yes

use_bayes 1
bayes_path         /home/spamd/bayes/bayes
bayes_file_mode        0666

auto_whitelist_path        /home/spamd/awl/auto-whitelist
auto_whitelist_file_mode   0666

Kai

--

Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany