But the way qmail-rbl works it will deny the mail based on the lookup, not weight it appropiatly.

Roger Merchberger writes:

At 21:43 10/14/2003 -0400, Paul Farber wrote:
I tried the evilrules.cf on my dual AMD 1Gb 2 Ultra-SCSI qmail server and it
died in minutes.

I run 100K+ emails in a 24 hour period. (98+% are tagged as spam)

After reboot I see that spamd takes a while to catch up... avg is 30+ seconds
per msg (all rbl look ups are set to timeout at 5 seconds, so anything more
than 10 seconds is a spamd issue).

Using perl may be a quick way to get spamassassin to work, but it totally
sucks on moderate volumes of mail.

Paul,
Are you running qmail? If so, here's what I do to help alleviate the load:

Turn off RBL's completely from SA, and put then in your qmail run script, like this:

/service/qmail-smtpd/run:

#!/bin/sh

QMAILDUID=`id -u qmaild`
NOFILESGID=`id -g qmaild`
MAXSMTPD=`cat /var/qmail/control/concurrencyincoming`

exec /usr/local/bin/softlimit -m 22000000 \
/usr/local/bin/tcpserver -H -l 0 -x /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -c "$MAXSMTPD" \
-u "$QMAILUID" -g "$NOFILESGID" 0 smtp \
/usr/local/bin/rblsmtpd -r relays.ordb.org -r sbl.spamhaus.org \
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd 2>&1

using /usr/local/bin/rblsmtpd (or wherever your install put 'em) uses the RBLs during the SMTP conversation, and keeps them from even needing to be scanned by SA...

HTH,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger | "Profile, don't speculate."
sysadmin, Iceberg Computers | Daniel J. Bernstein