On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 08:09:33PM -0400, Kris Deugau wrote:
> Patrick Morris wrote:
> > Unless I'm misunderstanding what your procmail recipes are doing,
> > it's *alread* been hacked into Sendmail.
>
> The whole point was to keep accepting *new* mail, while making sure that
> *concurrent* procmail->SA calls don't get out of hand and bring the
> system to a *complete* standstill.  sendmail does NOT have any native
> way to limit the number of concurrent deliveries it makes to *any*
> delivery agent.

Have you tried widening the sticky wicket?

In our case I took an old workstation, beefed up RAM and swapspace
and dedicated it to running spamd.  Servers having swapspace maxed out
solved, and there's no possibility the demands of other processes
will suddenly push a well-tuned spamd off the slippery slope into
thrashing.  No other processes on the old workstation consume any
significant resources.

In your case you may have a lot more than the 50k emails/week
we run through that old box, but really, with the cost of a bare-bones
2.4 gHz machine down near what I once paid for a pair of 4M
sticks of RAM, it would seem that this solution could be extended
to several times our volume.

At some point NFS becomes a significant overhead, at least
allowing per-user configuration via $HOME/.spamassassin/
directories, and we may be reaching that point at times.
I'm considering turning off the per-user configuration anyway.
Nobody uses it.  Or giving everybody their own home directory
on the SA box instead of NFS mounting.

This brings up the more general question of scalability.

I've heard from more than one sysadmin, "Yeah, we looked
at SpamAssassin but it won't scale to our volume."

Anybody try those sorts of things?  How far does it scale,
in terms of emails/week at fairly high spam ratio?  Anybody
got numbers?  Is this a possible FAQ entry?