-----Original Message-----
From: Matt Kettler [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 2003 12:35 PM
To: Howard Brazee; Spamassassin-Talk (E-mail)
Subject: RE: [SAtalk] White & black lists on server

At 02:23 PM 10/28/2003, Howard Brazee wrote:
>A lot of these documents and replies seem to be designed around me having
>SpamAssassin on my computer.   Instead it is on my e-mail server.
>
>Is there a place to look at to find out how someone who has a server based
>SpamAssassin can modify the whitelists, blacklists, and give SpamAssassin
>feedback about SPAM - from my own PC?    Or for that matter, to test my
>user_prefs from my own PC?
>
>I like it server based, as that means the messages don't hog my bandwidth,
>and can be deleted while I am on vacation for a week with my computer
>turned off.   But it isn't obvious how to use it this way.

one word: SSH.
Ssh?  I'm too loud?   I bet this means something.    I haven't worked with
non-mainframe servers ever.   It took me a while to figure out how to use Ultra-Edit
to edit my user_prefs file.
Seriously those, really those documents are oriented at it being installed
on a server, but they're also oriented around you logging into the server
for maintenance.
I infer that this means I can make this a virtual drive.   I'll play around with this
at home and try to do it.   Currently two of my home computers can be seen just fine,
but my main one is invisible and I am trying to trace that down.    But if I can do
this, I should be able to use the other software fine?

Some people have hacked together some tools so that they can do some
maintanance remotely without logging in, but there's no comprehensive
remote administration tool out there.

There's a webmin plugin out there, so if you like using webmin, this can
help you do some things.. personally I despise webmin so I've never used it
and can't vouch for how well it works.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/sawebmin/
I'm a mainframe guy, I am completely ignorant of these things.   It doesn't sound as
though you recommend me learning this tool.
Some people have set up automated scripts attached to various email
accounts on their server to make certain tasks semi-automatic.. However,
most of these are little home-brew tools to handle one or two things
specific to their setup. Also if your spamassassin config is completely
broken, you may not be able to send/receive mail at all and these kinds of
tools won't do anything for you.
Which means I shouldn't be modifying that file from work where I can't test it.

How about giving my server's SpamAssassin feedback from within Outlook?   Can I do
something to tell it that "this message is spam", so that it can learn from it?   It
appears that user side SpamAssassin can do this, but I haven't seen how to talk to it
from home.