Following up to myself, since I want to clarify something here...

Another aspect that is relevant to me (but arguably not to most users of SA
and I'm aware of that...) is that for me, english is not my native language,
neither am I a resident of an english-speaking country. And because of this,
my email is mixed; one part is dutch, one part is all the mailinglists I try
to follow (which are in english).  But not being a resident, the fact is that
for all of my customers and myself, ANY mail mentioning mortgages, loans,
ejaculation et al is a surefire sign of spam.  If not it would have mentioned
hypotheken, leningen and klaarkomen, which are the dutch translations. :-)

Now I don't expect SA to know dutch; that would be unfair. But what I would
like is some way to score those english terms way higher than an american
would or could.  For an american, mortgage does not spell spam per se. But
for ME it does, and I can practically guarantee I will not ever get an email
that mentions "mortgage" together with "you have been approved" which won't
be spam.

Well, none of this is your concern of course. But I would really really really
like if there was a way to have those typical english spam-words score way
higher than they do now.  Could we maybe envision two rulesets, one for
english-speaking residents and one for non-english speaking residents...?
I edited the score file myself but not only is it a hard, long and error-prone
task, but by editing it I throw away much of the valueable knowhow which
assembled that score-list in the first place.  But I am faced with the fact
that over 95% of my spam is in english and that I cannot sit back while the
online pharmacies fly around me, so to speak.
Put yourself in my (our, if i'd be speaking for all non-english countries)
place and ask yourself this question: Would you accept a score of only 0.5
for a rule that says "gratis hypotheekadvies" or "vijf miljoen emailadressen"
??  No, of course you wouldn't, because you'd know that a company that
pretends to sell you a mortgage from 12000 miles away will never ever be a
genuine offer...

In other words, a lot of us get bitten by the fact that "mortgage" in some
countries, in some contexts can be non-spam but for the rest of us it is a
surefire sign to be spam.  And again that is not anyone's fault but we should
try and make SA flexible enough to accomodate this fact by changing the
scoring.  I know you can teach SA to recognize spam in ones' own language,
but what is missing right now is a simple way to make SA much more immune to
the abundant english spam, which arguably is by FAR the bulk of all spam...

Kind regards,
Maarten

On Friday 07 November 2003 22:21, maarten van den Berg wrote:
> On Friday 07 November 2003 18:43, Matt Kettler wrote:
> > At 10:29 AM 11/7/2003, Maarten J H van den Berg wrote:
> > >Sorry if this has been discussed in the past...
> >
> > It's been discussed many times.. It's very common for people to have a
> > very deep misunderstanding of how SA scoring works. Most people fall into
> > the trap of over-simplifying the problem, and simply assuming that some
> > rule or another "must" be a good spam rule, when in fact it's not.

<snip>

--
Yes of course I'm sure it's the red cable. I guarante[^%!/+)F#0c|'NO CARRIER