On Fri, 7 Nov 2003, Robert Menschel wrote:

> Or better: what if we specified in the rule a maximum score to accumulate
> to? Maybe something like:
>
> accumbody  T_SAMPLE  /(?:word1|word2|word3|word4|word5)/i,max=2.5
> describe   T_SAMPLE  Message has medical words frequently used in spam
> score      T_SAMPLE  0.5
>
> Each time any of the five words was used, it'd score 0.5, to a maximum
> score of 2.5. No matter how long the message was, this rule could not by
> itself cause an FP, and would work in conjunction only with other rules
> to flag something as spam.

A slight modification of the above idea, rather than 'max=2.5' have
'maxhits=5'. IE that particular rule fires no more than 5 times and then
the matching engine can drop it and move on to the next rule.

The final score would be 'nhits' * score. That way the matching engine
does not need to worry about any score calculations, just tallying up
number of matches.
There should also be a default implicit 'maxhits' value to keep the
matching process moving along and not slow things down too much. ;)

#include <std_disclaimer.h>