On Mon, 24 Nov 2003, Chris Cook wrote:

> Hello,
>       We are currently using Spamassassin + sendmail + spamass-milter to tag
> our mail, but we would like to not have outgoing mail scanned.  lda and
> outgoing mail are on the same box.  I have tried to just use
> spamassassin+procmail but the load spawned a million procmail instances
> and mail was not getting delivered.
>
> Is there a way to tell spamassassin not to scan outgoing mail when using
> spamass-milter?
>
> Thanks,

A couple of different ideas:
1) set up a dual-config system; have the MTA listen for incoming messages
  with the spamass-milter to filter them, have the MSA listen for locally
  submitted messages and have it configured without the milter so it does
  not filter them.

2) customize the milter as proposed by Chris Adams in his post to
comp.mail.sendmail:
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=macro++Milter+bypass&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&scoring=d&selm=vpts2mdibgq53e%40corp.supernews.com&rnum=2
Then set up a sendmail rule to recognize locally generated messages
and set the 'skip_check' macro.

I use the dual config setup, one daemon for incoming messages and one for
outgoing ones. I use miltrassassin and am in the process of hacking it
to add support for the 'skip_check' macro idea. (we have a local campus
listserv that spews out copious messages for the students with great
regularity and when it runs it hammers my SA server. I want to skip_check
its babbeling. ;)

I've already customized miltrassassin to add support for envelope
sender & recipient passing into SA, makes whitelist construction much
easier. ;)

Dave

#include <std_disclaimer.h>