I finally figured out what was going on.  Don't have it solved, but have a better
question at least.

First though, I tried Carl's suggestion - no joy.   Tried uninstalling and
reinstalling - no joy.

What I finally figured out had to do with out I'd set up my local vs. virtual domains
in qmail.  SpamAssassin was only scanning mail headed for virtual domains.

In fact, it still is only scanning mail headed for virtual domains.  Haven't figured
out how to get it to scan anything and everything, regardless of where its headed.

But that's the current status.  At least I can now send mail to it, and if its to a
virtual domain, then it will get scanned.  But not if its a local domain.

Now anyone have an idea?

Jesse