Alexander Litvinov wrote:

Hint: I think we should store these things in a SQL database instead of in
the file system, shouldn't we?

It is even possible to replace Berkeley DB with sql frontend and allow to use postgres and for those who don't want to use sql server - sqlite

From the work currently going for WRT moving the whitelist and Bayes DBs into a SQL backend, I have a hunch that this will be a natural progession.

possibley even design a DCC / pyzor / razor type system which would
implement a distributed checksum / md5 etc
on all image ?

nice idea... for now.
Later spammers will start to use generated images that slitly differ

True, but hopefully that would make their lives really complicated. A spam process on a given server would need a library of images. If the proposed system was distributed, the spammer would need thousands of images to be effective.

Alternatively, they'd have to come up with a way to mangle the image slightly... in a way that would preserve the content, but destroy the hash. That should eat up a load of CPU on the spamming machine(s).

As always, it's an arms race...

--Rich

------------------------------------------------------- The SF.Net email is sponsored by EclipseCon 2004 Premiere Conference on Open Tools Development and Integration See the breadth of Eclipse activity. February 3-5 in Anaheim, CA. http://www.eclipsecon.org/osdn _______________________________________________ Spamassassin-talk mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/spamassassin-talk