On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 09:51:05AM +0200, Bgs wrote:

> The other drawback of a tcpserv approach is that an intelligent spam
> sender software will handle it as temporary error (unable to create
> connection to smtp server) and will try again and again until the max
> queue lifetime of the mail is reached. With spamdyke blacklist it gets a
> permanent error and won't retry more. So both solutions have their pros
> and cons. Which is better, depends on your type of traffic, server,
> connection, etc. :)

Yes, that's true for tcpserver which just closes the connection when the
client is blacklisted.

However, using tcpsvd you can spawn a different program to handle
connections from "blacklisted" clients, such as rblsmtpd with $RBLSMTPD set
to "-Go away, spammer", which will result in a 551 error being sent to the
client.

Actually, if you place rblsmtpd in front of spamdyke in the delivery chain,
you can also do this with tcpserver and spamdyke.

Andras

--
                 Andras Korn <korn at chardonnay.math.bme.hu>
                 <http://chardonnay.math.bme.hu/~korn/> QOTD: