Sam Clippinger wrote:
> Good to hear it's working... I guess there just weren't any "good"
> messages being delivered while you were testing "filter-level"?

That's what I'm thinking.

I'm still seeing something a little peculiar though. I would expect every
smtp session to generate a spamdyke message of one form or another, either a
rejection or an allow. This particular server's pretty, so it's sometimes
hard to tell. Is this the case, or are there situations where a session
might not have a spamdyke message?

FWIW, this server is simply a relay for specific domains, and has/does no
authentication other than checking rcpthosts and morercpthosts, then
forwards the mail based on the .qmail-default record for each domain. Kinda
goofy, I know.

> By the way, setting the "filter-level" option in the global config file
> is not really what I had in mind when I created that flag.  Since it
> overrides all other flags, including blacklists, it was really intended
> for use in configuration directories.  Specifically, some of my users
> have become tired of repeatedly asking me to whitelist their
> correspondents.  Several have asked me to just turn off spam filtering
> for their accounts.  With configuration directories, I can create a file
> for their address that includes the command "filter-level=allow-all"
> (they typically begin to see the wisdom of filtering after a few days).
> Without that command, their file would have to explicitly disable all
> enabled filters and would be a pain to create/maintain.
>
> By the same token, I wanted to provide an easy way for administrators to
> require authentication for senders/recipients within specific domains.
> That is now very easy to accomplish using a configuration directory and
> "filter-level=require-auth".

Nice.

FWIW, I just found it to be an easy way to turn spamdyke off temporarily, as
opposed to changing run files back and forth. :)

-Eric 'shubes'