Greg Cirelle Enterprises wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a silly question, but in an effort to resolve an issue
> I just have to ask.
>
> Every so often one of our clients sends out a mail message
> via their website, which gets routed to one of our qmail
> servers for delivery (approx 800 messages).
>
> Occasionally when mail is sent during the day, there are
> several remote recipients who indicate they are receiving
> multiple copies of the message, sometimes up to 10.
>
> There are several consistent remote users who complain
> and the remainder are random (as far as I can tell) they
> are different users each time.
>
> I will add, that sending an automated email to the same
> 800 users during non peak hours (3-4am) does not result
> in duplicates
>
> My question is does spamdyke impose a timeout on the
> response of the remote smtp server that would trigger
> qmail to resend the email again, thus producing the
> duplication of messages?
>
> Thanks

You're close, but not quite there.

Spamdyke (v4) can impose two different timeouts depending on the
configuration, one for the total session and one for inactivity. However,
spamdyke is only active on *incoming* smtp sessions, so spamdyke doesn't
come into play in this scenario.

What's probably happening is that during the day your server or bandwidth
are overloaded to the point where a receiving server times out, qmail sees
that there was no acknowledgment of successful transmission, and reschedules
delivery, resulting in the duplicate. I'd try throttling back the number of
concurrent remote tasks. You should have a
/var/qmail/control/concurrencyremote file that specifies this value.
See "man qmail-send" for details.

--
-Eric 'shubes'