David Sánchez Martín wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
>> Sooooo....  Set it to 1 minute.  Certainly your users can
>> wait 1 minute...
>> I think greylisting may loose some of its effectiveness this way...
>>
>> Set it to 10 minutes, don't tell them it's there, and they
>> likely won't even
>> notice.
>>

> I know, but what I'm trying to do is, IMHO a reasonable approach.
>
> See what's happening, populate the database, do some research on the
> results (may be doing some whitelists with that results) and then do
> the graylist the way it's thought to be.
>
> It's just a matter of prudence.
>
> Regards.

David,

That sounds like a neat idea, but I don't think it'd work. If you simply
allow the session to complete and create a greylist entry for
everything, you will have effectively whitelisted every incoming
message, including the bad ones. Greylisting works because some spammers
don't retry when a session fails. If everything passes, you've no way of
knowing which ones would or would not have retried. The greylist
database would be useless.

--
-Eric 'shubes'