* Hans F. Nordhaug <hans.f.nordh...@himolde.no> [2010-01-22]:
> Hi - I'm new to the list but I have searched ;-)
>
> We are running Spamdyke 4.0.10 (as included in Qmail Toaster Plus)
> with idle-timeout-secs set to 60. One of my users recently got 30
> duplicate messages (and wasn't happy). Looking at the logs, I see that
> Spamdyke indeed timed out but the messages were (scanned by simscan and)
> delievered by Qmail to the user. How can this be?
>
> I understand that the sender's e-mail client (Outlook most likely, but
> I haven't checked) must have thought that the messages weren't
> delievered and hence retried. I first thought that this was a known
> bug in SpamDyke - see discussion in the "Spamdyke passes partial
> emails to qmail after timeout" thread:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/spamdyke-users@spamdyke.org/msg00744.html
> But this "bug" was fixed long time ago. What exactly does Spamdyke
> do when it timeouts? If the the client keeps the connection open long
> after completing the message transfer and spamdyke does X when timing
> out, could that confuse the client so it resends?

Thx a lot for your replies Sebastian and Eric. Just some more
information first. The sender is a remote/not a local user - the
connection is from a remote mail server. (And all local users are
using port 587/submission, anyway.)

Simscan (or spamassassin I guess) was using around 150-160 seconds to
scan the message. This probably explains why the message was resent -
Outlook is timing out before getting the OK from the server. What
still puzzles me is the Spamdyke timeout. Does it have any
effect in this situation?

Best regards,
Hans

PS! What value do you have for idle-timeout-secs?