I'm running several QMT servers with spamdyke, and am now of the opinion
that there's a bug in spamdyke. All are running v4.0.10. Also, I believe
that DNS resolution is configured and working properly in all cases
(local caching DNS, forwarding to root servers), so that should not be
an issue.

On low volume servers, only 1 of 3 had any defunct processes at all.
They were few (1-2 per month) and very old (1-2 months old). Where I
still had the corresponding log entries, I saw the tcpserver:pid and
tcpserver:ok messages, but nothing else. No further messages from any
smtp-related program.

On a high volume server, defunct processes are much more frequent. They
all appear to be sessions with a spamdyke:TIMEOUT message, although
there are also many TIMEOUTs which do not result in defunct processes.
The defunct sessions vary as to the type of rejection, some rDNS, some
RBLs, but they all eventually get a TIMEOUT message, but no subsequent
tcpserver:end message.

I'm going to see if I can get a detail log from a session that goes defunct.

Sam, if there's anything else I can do to help pinpoint this thing, let
me know.

--
-Eric 'shubes'