On 11/01/2011 04:03 AM, t...@uncon.org wrote:
> Quoting Peter Palmreuther<li...@zentrumderarbeit.org>:
>

>> I do exactly this (albeit with a self written script, because when I
>> started to cleanup my graylisting directory I didn't know about
>> 'qtp-prune-graylist').
>> Empty files older than 24 hours, "too old" files (->
>> graylist-max-secs) and subsequently empty directories are removed.
>> In my case once a day, when there's lower load on the server. The
>> (for me also separate) graylist filesystem offers enough space and
>> inodes to cover it's uncleaned usage for several days, so there's no
>> significant profit to gain cleaning up more than once a day.
>>

> Just my opinion, but I think you're not getting the most out of
> graylisting if you are pruning the records so aggressively, due to the
> need for the remote server to do a re-send more than necessary, the
> annoyance to users of the delays in email and there are still broken
> servers out there.
>
> I'd be interested to see the numbers on your message count and
> graylist filesystem usage.
>
> Anyway, here's what I do:
>
> o I use a loopback filesystem (XFS) to hold the graylist data. This
> has two advantages, I can easily dump the entire dataset by
> re-formatting the virtual filesystem, and XFS allocates inodes
> dynamically, so won't easily run out.
>
> o I keep 3 weeks worth of graylist history. In order to manage that,
> I've patched the code to change the layout on disk, into per-week
> directory structures (by week number), like this:
> /graylist-dir/domain/week-no/recip/domain/sender
>
> Graylist entries are then automatically migrated from the previous to
> the current weeks data when they are used by the spamdyke process.
>
> This means that at the end of the week, I can simply delete the
> directory containing the oldest data, without having to perform any
> kind of filesystem 'find' operation looking for data that is too old,
> which is very expensive.
>
> Thanks,
> -trog

That sounds like an interesting solution, trog. I agree that graylisting
shouldn't be too aggressive, and I use 31 days myself. My hosts are
small enough though that using qtp-prune-graylist (find) isn't a problem.

I've been wondering though about perhaps using tmpfs for the graylist
tree. That might be a potential solution as well for hosts that process
huge amounts of email. Of course the whole tree would be lost on
rebooting, but if that was a problem it could be copied off periodically
and restored. If I get some time one day, I may do some test comparisons.

--
-Eric 'shubes'