--- Chris Newport <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have no idea about Gentoo versions, but Splack 8.0
> has a working 2.2
> kernel with soc and socal modules. Everything you
> need to experiment
> with 2.4 is there, but the toolset and compiler are
> too old for 2.6
> In general, you should not need to have the Sun
> firmware in your
> drivers, just upload them to the card and array from
> Solaris and they
> will stay there in nvram. This avoids contaminating
> Linux with Sun's code.
> The procedure for socal is similar to my procedure
> for soc, take a look
> at the Solaris man pages for luxadm etc.

Ah.  I just did some reading and learned that 'splack'
is a slackware distro for Sparc.  Cool.  I've been
using Slackware for x86 since 1995 (I remember booting
kernel 1.2.13 on a 486sx25 with 2M ram!)  I recently
moved to Gentoo because I like the "portage" thingy.
Anyway....

I will try booting splack on the box too.  And
flashing the socal drivers, and running "luxadm".

Thank you for your help.  I really do appreciate it.

=====
Dennis Jenkins
-