Hi,
I'm a newbie to Linux and to SparcStations in particular.... but have extensive experience with DOS/Windoze/networks/hardware etc...
I've just inherited an orphaned SPARCstation IPX with 32MB RAM, keyboard/mouse/16" monitor & CD ROM drive.
There are a number of bad blocks on the HDD and the thing needs reformatting anyway, because there are files on  it which I don't have access to (or want to) but are protected from me even as root. Some of the original filesystem was also on an external HDD which the poor thing keeps pining for and looking for....
Since this is an "enthusiast's machine" - to learn about Unix on etc and to use as an alternative desktop as an alternative to the Gates' camp - I'm wondering if I should go for a SparcLinux version rather thatn chasing a new installation of SunOS? If so, which Linux distibution would be recommended to a Unix newbie like me?
I will network the machine with my Win98/Win95/Win3.11 peer to peer network here (I provide helpdesk functions as part of my job and have all the versions running in the office on various old machines....).
Any assistance - including patronising advice! - will be appreciated. I have installed Redhat - then Debian - then Caldera Unix on an old i486 at home with varying results, but really haven't got far with using it for anything yet..... Installed StarOffice 4 and played with it - that's about it.
 
Many thanks,

Joe Hovel
Monash University
=======================================
Centre for Rural Health
http://www.med.monash.edu.au/crh
Centre of Medical Informatics
http://www.monash.edu.au/informatics
=======================================
http://www.hitech.net.au/jhovel

 
 

Reply via email to