Joe Hovel wrote:
> Subject: Newbie
> 
> Hi,
> I'm a newbie to Linux and to SparcStations in particular.... but have
> extensive experience with DOS/Windoze/networks/hardware etc...
> I've just inherited an orphaned SPARCstation IPX with 32MB RAM,
> keyboard/mouse/16" monitor & CD ROM drive.
> There are a number of bad blocks on the HDD and the thing needs reformatting
> anyway, because there are files on  it which I don't have access to (or want
> to) but are protected from me even as root. Some of the original filesystem
> was also on an external HDD which the poor thing keeps pining for and
> looking for....
> Since this is an "enthusiast's machine" - to learn about Unix on etc and to
> use as an alternative desktop as an alternative to the Gates' camp - I'm
> wondering if I should go for a SparcLinux version rather thatn chasing a new
> installation of SunOS? If so, which Linux distibution would be recommended
> to a Unix newbie like me?

Hi,

I'd try Linux. The main advantage compared to SunOS 4.1.X is the vast
amount of ready-to-install software you get with any current
distribution...i.e. you will have your choice of editors, compilers,
languages and other gimmicks immediately available. Otherwise, SunOS
4.1.X is a fine OS as well. SunOS 5.X (Solaris) is probably to
heavyweight for your machine (i.e. it will work, but dog slow).

I am using Red Hat 4.2 for SPARC on a SPARCStation SLC (a sun4c, as is
your IPX) with the vger 2.1.89 kernel, without appreciable
slow-down. You can get this kernel from
ftp://ftp.faho.rwth-aachen.de/pub/linux/sparc/
linux-2.1.89-VGER-CVS980313.tar.gz (where Matthias Schroether put it a
year ago for me to download - thanks! ;-)

Could you perhaps try to mail in plain ASCII only in the future?

Bye,

    Stephan

-------------------------- It can be done! ---------------------------------
   Please email me as [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephan Schulz)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe sparclinux" in
the body of the message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  • Newbie Joe Hovel
    • Stephan Schulz

Reply via email to