[sorry about the previous half-finished post]

I can speak to that, having just bumped into it.  SRC_ROOT is defined
as $(PWD)/ in the Makefile, but $PWD may not exist in the environment,
leading to a definition of "SRC_ROOT=/".

In particular, on the latest version of Ubuntu, 'sudo printenv' shows
no definition of PWD.  I'm not that crazy about them having left it
out, but there it is, and there's really no standard that says it has
to be defined.

For GNU make, you could use one of

    $(realpath .)
    $(abspath .)
    $(shell pwd)

The best solution, though, would be to get rid of SRC_ROOT altogether
and use relative paths, if possible.

Mike