>> It isn't the case, I have noticed that Makefile.config.incl is not
getting picked up.

Not surprising since SRC_ROOT is goofed up:
-include $(SRC_ROOT)Makefile.config.incl   # -include means if it doesn't
exist just don't use it

I think you're to the point where you need to locate someone onsite who can
help you resolve these issues.  I've just done a build on Ubuntu 9.10
without any trouble around $PWD or SRC_ROOT, there's something odd with your
system in particular, I'm afraid.

You might want to have a look at
\trunk\trans_proteomic_pipeline\installer_linux\install-prerequisites-ubuntu
-9_04.sh (it works for 9.10 too).

Brian