I can only speak for the database search step, but I've never seen any
of the major search engines use more than a gig of RAM on a high-end
data set (~30k spectra) with a large database (UniRef-100 FTW!). As long
as there is free physical RAM at all times during a search, adding more
RAM is not going to speed things up noticeably. If you start using a box
for multiple purposes (i.e. hosting multiple servers, VMs, etc.) that's
when you need to bump up the RAM and usually go 64-bit on the OS
(although not necessarily on the applications).

-Matt