Hi Eslam,

Along the lines of what Jimmy mentioned about "giving things up" specifying
fully versus partial tryptic really speeds up the search if that is
suitable for your sample.

I would recommend talking to your IT department to see if they have any
ready solutions for increasing your computing power.  They may have
resources available that you are not aware of.  For example, I talked to
the IT Dept. here and they happily set up a 12 core virtual machine that I
installed TPP on.  They would have done more, but ultimately they wanted to
charge me a yearly fee and I decided to go the less expensive route and buy
pre-owned "pizza boxes" with dual hex cores, install Ubuntu and TPP
myself.  These are relatively inexpensive on E-Bay for ~$500 depending on
configuration.  Here is one example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Proliant-DL360-G7-Server-2x-X5670-2-93GHz-HexaCore-128GB-4x-450GB-2x-power-/322197730383?hash=item4b047b344f:g:FOAAAOSwtnpXpQMR
You may be able to work with such companies that sell these units to have
them configured to your specs.

So the above would be for just one shared memory system with 12 cores (+12
virtual cores if you config it that way since these processors support
hyper theading, which may or may not speed things up.  Apparently with
hyper threading more isn't always better).  Using Ubuntu or other Linux
distros, you can set up a cluster of many of these inexpensive boxes that
will work in parallel to further increase your processing power.  With 5
such boxes,  mentioned above, you could have a 60 core cluster for less
than $3000 in hardware.

Ultimately its your budget and ability to do things yourself that will
determine what is best for you.

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Hampton
Protein Analysis Lab
Center for Vascular and Inflammatory Diseases
University of Maryland School of Medicine
655 West Baltimore Street BRB 7-018
Baltimore  MD  21201
V: 410-706-8207