Hello Paul,

You can get the instructions on using PTMProphet by running the tool on the
commandline without any options.  This applies to most of the commandline
tools in the TPP.

When you type "*PTMProphetParser" *into the commandline, you'll get the
following usage statement:

*PTMProphetParser <OPTIONS> <input_file.pep.xml>
[<output_file>]OPTIONS        NOUPDATE        Don't update
modification_info tags in pepXML        EM=<number>:    Set EM models to
<number> which can be 0, 1 or 2:                        0 -> no
EM,                        1 -> Intensity EM Model
Applied,                        2 -> Intensity and Matched Peaks EM Models
Applied (default=1)        KEEPOLD  Option to retain old PTMProphet results
in the pepXML file (off by default).        VERBOSE  Option to produce
WARNINGS to help troubleshoot potential PTM shuffling or mass difference
issues (off by default).        MZTOL=<number>   Use specified +/- MS2 mz
tolerance on site specific ions (default=0.1 dalton).
PPMTOL=<number>  Use specified +/- MS1 ppm tolerance on peptides which may
have a slight offset depending on search parameters (e.g. iTRAQ4plex)
(default=1 ppm).        MINPROB=<number>         Use specified minimum
probability to evaluate peptides (default=0).        MASSDIFFMODE     Use
the Mass Difference and localize        MASSOFFSET=<number>      Adjust the
massdiff by offset <number> (default: 0)        <amino acids, n, or
c>:<mass_shift>:<neut_loss1>:...:<neut_lossN>,<amino acids, n, or
c>:<mass_shift>:<neut_loss1>:...:<neut_lossN>     Specify modifications
(default:
STY:79.9663:-97.97690:-115.9880,M:15.9949:-63.998286:-81.024835:-82.008850
)*

If you have any issues running the software I would can help you understand
them.  Currently we are putting together a publication on PTMProphet, and
more documentation will become available when that is accepted.  There is
still much to be done in understanding the optimal ways of localizing PTMs.

Thanks for considering the TPP for your proteomics analysis needs.

-David