I am currently working with PTMProphet in TPP version 6.3.3 for PTM
localization. While PTMProphet successfully completes the task, I am
encountering a significant number of warning messages in the console.

To provide some context, my workflow involves utilizing MSFragger as the
search engine to convert raw files to mzML files and then searching against
a database. For the modification parameters, I have set M 15.9949, N-term
42.1016, STC 299.123, and C 57.02146 as variable modifications, with no
fixed modifications specified.

Upon obtaining the pepXML file from MSFragger, I employed Percolator for
PSM validation using the following settings: *--only-psms --no-terminate
--post-processing-tdc*. The resulting pepxml file was then processed with
PTMProphet using the command: *STC:299.123 MINPROB=0.5 MODPREC=0
FRAGPPMTOL=15 NOSTACK MAXTHREADS=1*.

However, during the PTMProphet processing, I encountered warning messages
similar to the following:

*[WARNING:] Illegal PTM-shuffled peptide detected with non-matching mass:
S[386]CNGGSHPR Neutral Mass (from pepXML) = 1254.52 BAD
(SpectraST::Peptide) = S[386]CNGGSHPR Neutral Computed Mass for Evaluation
= 1212.51 PPM difference = 33487.5[INFO:] please check your specified
modification masses for precision or adjust MODPREC= parameter
...[WARNING:] Illegal PTM-shuffled peptide detected with non-matching mass:
SC[402]NGGSHPR Neutral Mass (from pepXML) = 1254.52 BAD
(SpectraST::Peptide) = SC[402]NGGSHPR Neutral Computed Mass for Evaluation
= 1212.51 PPM difference = 33487.5[INFO:] please check your specified
modification masses for precision or adjust MODPREC= parameter
...[WARNING:] Illegal PTM-shuffled peptide detected with non-matching mass:
SCNGGS[386]HPR Neutral Mass (from pepXML) = 1254.52 BAD
(SpectraST::Peptide) = SCNGGS[386]HPR Neutral Computed Mass for Evaluation
= 1212.51 PPM difference = 33487.5[INFO:] please check your specified
modification masses for precision or adjust MODPREC= parameter ...*

This pattern repeats for various peptides, indicating that PTMProphet is
struggling to localize modifications on S, T, or C. The tool suggests
adjusting parameters, specifically the MODPREC= parameter.

Has anyone encountered a similar issue with PTMProphet and successfully
addressed it? I would greatly appreciate any insights, advice, or
suggestions regarding this matter.