From: spdx-legal-boun...@lists.spdx.org
[mailto:spdx-legal-boun...@lists.spdx.org] On Behalf Of Wheeler, David A
Sent: Monday, September 30, 2013 10:25 AM
To: Camille Moulin; SPDX-legal
Subject: RE: GNU [?] Affero General Public License v1.0

The confusion may be that for at least version 3.0, it *is* the "GNU AFFERO
GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE" as documented here:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/agpl-3.0.html

I believe you mean that version 1.0 doesn't begin with "GNU".  That sounds
correct; I believe Affero had an idea, drafted it (with some help from GNU),
and then put it out... but as their own license.  Later it got folded in as a
GNU license.  Anyway, that's the history as I (poorly?) remember it.

The text of of the GNU Affero General Public License seems to be consistent
with my recollections:
"An older license, called the Affero General Public License and published by
Affero, was designed to accomplish similar goals. This is a different license,
not a version of the Affero GPL, but Affero has released a new version of the
Affero GPL which permits relicensing under this license."

--- David A. Wheeler