I wasn't at the SPDX meetings at LinuxCon last month, but multiple
people approached me at the conference to ask my opinion on the issue,
with regard to file-by-file license notice inventory, if I felt the
text:
  spdx-license=IDENTIFIER

would be adequate.  I'm told that dmg suggested that it'd be better to
say something like:

  "License of this file is: spdx-license=IDENTIFIER"

and while I agreed with dmg, but I further suggested:

  "License: spdx-license=IDENTIFIER"

would be adequate.

However, I don't see anything about this documented in these minutes:

Jilayne Lovejoy wrote at 14:37 (EDT) on Thursday:
> http://wiki.spdx.org/view/Legal_Team/Minutes/2013-09-25

I am posting about this now because I may be about to make a bombing-run
patch to one of Conservancy's member projects to add a license notice to
each file, and I'd be happy use that format if it's going to be an
official recommendation of the SPDX project.

However, I will have to register my complaint again that GPL-2.0 is a
*horrible* identifier for GPLv2-only, mainly because of how GPLv2ยง9
works.  Saying "GPL-2.0" to refer to GPLv2-only is misleading and
confusing and should be corrected.

This wasn't a major issue when the identifiers were only used by SPDX
experts, but if you really are proposing that projects use the
identifiers *in their code* then the identifiers *need* to stand on
their own and be accurate.  What is your plan to solve that problem?
--
   -- bkuhn