Bradley,

I will let the legal tam address your concern regarding GPL-2.0 as an
identifier.

As for the tagging in a file  for the license you are correct that nothing has
been written down as of yet. There has been some discussion of this by many
people and it was even a topic of discussion on the tech team call today. I
believe the basic proposal (largely pushed by me I think) was to take what was
done by U-boot and start with that as a basis for something that could then be
standardized on and expanded later. You can see an example here:
http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot.git;a=blob;f=post/post.c;h=4af5355fa5a20f9c2e763f37b269bea38d43e8ea;hb=6612ab33956ae09c5ba2fde9c1540b519625ba37
 (this was random file I picked so I'm not trying to imply anything with the
2.0+ :) ). The idea is that there would be a write up on this and how to apply
it.

That said, most people think this needs to be vetted a bit more which is fair
and I know Windriver presented a talk at I believe the last CollabSummit on
using meta tagging of this nature and it was a bit more complete.  If I
remember from the conversations at Linuxcon we were going to talk to the
various foundations (FSF, your conservancy, Apache, Eclipse, etc.) and get
their thoughts as well. I know on the tech team call there were discussions as
to whether this was enough as well and the legal team on SPDX may have some
opinions.

At some point we want this to be an official recommendation but it looks like
we have more socializing to do on the subject to be sure everyone's concerns
are addressed and there is a consensus and that the right approach is taken. By
the way, I'm happy to hear that you would something suggested by SPDX in this
regard. In summary, I would say stay tuned and feel free to join in the
conversation.

Jack