From: spdx-legal-boun...@lists.spdx.org
[mailto:spdx-legal-boun...@lists.spdx.org] On Behalf Of J Lovejoy
Sent: Thursday, 1 June, 2017 19:39
To: W. Trevor King <wk...@tremily.us>
Cc: Smith, McCoy <mccoy.sm...@intel.com>; SPDX-legal <spdx-legal@lists.spdx.org>
Subject: Re: New OSI approved license (BSD+Patent)

Hi Trevor,

This would not be treated as an exception because it was drafted (and submitted
to the OSI) as a complete license, not as an exception or separate, add-able
text to BSD-2-Clause. While you raise a good point about the potential
different ways one might express such a situation as this, I think we need to
generally ‘take them as we find them’ and no re-interpret the intent of the
(license) author.

That being said, we probably need to actually define what an exception is, as I
think is understood concept but not actually spelled out anywhere (on the SPDX
License List or possible elsewhere!)

As for an identifier, there is no reason to use “OSI” in the identifier - we
have all of the OSI-approved licenses included on the SPDX License List. The
short identifier should follow the general guidelines we provide for here:
https://spdx.org/spdx-license-list/license-list-overview (see bottom), which
are in key part:
            • Short identifiers have no spaces in them
            • Short identifiers consist of an abbreviation based on a common
short name or acronym for the license or exception
            • Where applicable, the abbreviation will be followed by a dash and
then the version number, in X.Y format
            • Where applicable, and if possible, the short identifier should be
harmonized with other well-known open source naming sources (i.e., OSI, Fedora,
etc.)
            • Short identifiers should be as short in length as possible while
staying consistent with all other naming criteria

Specifically, when adding other BSD-x-Clause licenses, we have tried to follow
the same pattern for the identifiers as it aids in identifying what exactly the
license is, which I think everyone finds helpful!  Hence the use of
BSD-x-Clause-<extra> was intentional and thus, why I suggested such a pattern
here. I suppose we could add a more generalized note to that effect in the
guidelines as well.

thanks,
Jilayne

On Jun 1, 2017, at 11:23 AM, W. Trevor King