Re-reading the SPDX matching guidelines, one sentence I had been completely
overlooking seems to address some of the concerns I've had about
BSD-3-Clause-variant licenses: "T he text indicated as such can be replaced
with similar values (e.g., a different name or generic term; different date)
and still be considered a positive match." However I find this sentence
difficult to interpret -- do "similar" and "different" refer to the
parameterized things in the SPDX version, or do they instead go to internal
consistency within a real-world instance of a license type? -- and I might not
be reading it correctly.

In light of that sentence, the way I am assuming it should be read, the colored
items in, for example, https://spdx.org/licenses/BSD-3-Clause.html are not
supposed to be understood to be strict internally-consistent placeholders - for
example, the fact that " THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS" is used in the
first sentence in the disclaimer does not mean that " THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER OR
CONTRIBUTORS " is supposed to correspond to the first sentence such that an
instantiation of "COPYRIGHT HOLDER" in the first sentence must match an
instantiation of "COPYRIGHT HOLDER" in the second sentence (as an aside, I
assume the inconsistency in pluralization of COPYRIGHT HOLDER is the result of
copying of the OSI version of the 3-clause BSD license, which probably will get
fixed on the OSI website).

In the case of the GHC license, we have a very small discrepancy relative to
the SPDX version: " THE UNIVERSITY COURT OF THE UNIVERSITY OF GLASGOW AND THE
CONTRIBUTORS" in the first sentence of the disclaimer and " THE UNIVERSITY
COURT OF THE UNIVERSITY OF GLASGOW OR THE CONTRIBUTORS" in the second sentence.
I can read the sentence I quoted above from the matching guidelines to indicate
that "THE CONTRIBUTORS" matches article-less "CONTRIBUTORS", but if that's a
correct reading I think it should be stated more clearly.