From: <spdx-legal-boun...@lists.spdx.org> on behalf of Jilayne Lovejoy
<opensou...@jilayne.com>
Date: Thursday, July 6, 2017 at 6:35 PM
To: SPDX-legal <spdx-legal@lists.spdx.org>
Subject: revised wording for top of exceptions page

Hi All,

As discussed on today’s call, all agreed that some clarification or revision of
the explanatory text at the top of the license exceptions page was warranted.
(see current first paragraph here:
https://spdx.org/licenses/exceptions-index.html )

Bradley was kind enough to get the ball rolling and we batted it around a bit
and came up with the following.  I think this captures the concepts we were
discussing on the call.  It could possibly be made a bit more concise, but it’s
always easier to start with more and trim down!

The SPDX License List includes a list of commonly found exceptions to open
 source licenses.  Exceptions grant additional permissions beyond those
 already given in the license that the exception modifies.  These exceptions
 are not stand-alone licenses; rather, they are designed for use with the
 License Expression Syntax operator, "WITH", to identify a license that
 includes an additional permission beyond those in the main license.

Thought, input, word-smithing?

Thanks,
Jilayne

SPDX Legal Team co-lead