From: "Wayne Beaton" <wayne.bea...@eclipse-foundation.org>
To: spdx-legal@lists.spdx.org
Sent: Monday, August 21, 2017 8:52:44 PM
Subject: New License/Exception Request: EPL-2.0

The EPL-2.0 has been approved by the OSI and the Eclipse Board of Directors.
We'd obviously like to see it included in the SPDX license list. FWIW, we're
updating our legal documentation requirements to make heavy use of SPDX.

1. License name: Eclipse Public License 2.0
2. Proposed Identifier: EPL-2.0
3. URL: https://www.eclipse.org/legal/epl-2.0/
4. The license is OSI-approved (though only just recently and so it's not
posted yet)
5. The Eclipse OMR and Eclipse OpenJ9 projects are both currently switching
over to the new version and we expect numerous other existing Eclipse projects
do so as well.
6. The Eclipse Foundation is investing in the use of SPDX and since we expect
many/most of our projects to update to the new version of the license, having
representation in SPDX is critical path.

The wrinkle, I think, is that there is a provision in the license for
"secondary license" support. A project team may opt to declare that their
project code is GPL compatible. I believe that this means that GPL
compatibility is an exception; this is compounded by the ability to include
various exceptions to the GPL.

The OpenJ9 project, for example, will be EPL-2.0 with GPL-2.0+CPE+AE. I think
that this would manifest something like this:

EPL-2.0 WITH (GPL-2.0 WITH Classpath-exception-2.0 WITH Assembly-exception-2.0)

I'm a little concerned that I don't see Assembly-exception-2.0 on the
exceptions list. I assume that this means that I'll have to shepherd this
exception through as well.

Is this syntax even supported?

FWIW, in a fit of stupidity--after misreading a comment on another issue--I
opened a GitHub Issue to track this.

Thanks,

Wayne

--