I think there's something a little odd about the EPL 2.0 opt-in GPL
compatibility feature I hadn't paid attention to before (despite having
reviewed the license closely during its drafting and the OSI approval process).

The way the opt-in GPL compatibility works, the initial licensor of 'the
Program' has to include a notice which seems to say, in effect, that the code
from that initial licensor is disjunctively dual-licensed under EPL and some
particular allowed GPL-family license.

Subsequent licensors downstream are inheriting a feature that is not really
obvious from the text of the required notice from the initial licensor, which I
read as allowing pure-EPL-2.0 code to be distributed under the GPL-family
license instead.

So, for example, in a scenario where the initial licensor wanted to allow
compatibility with GPLv2 + Classpath Exception, the correct SPDX description of
the Program would seem to be, potentially:

(EPL-2.0 OR (GPL-2.0 WITH Classpath-exception-2.0)) AND (EPL-2.0 WITH
whatever-SPDX-were-to-call-the-Built-in-EPL-2.0-GPL-copyleft-escape-hatch)

This is odd because it seems to imply that the EPL 2.0 compatibility provision
is unnecessary. The initial licensor is dual licensing the initial EPL code
anyway, so it would always have been possible for subsequent contributions to
the Program to be combinable with other GPLv2 + Classpath Exception code. The
only difference seems to be that the subsequent EPL 2.0 licensors can present
their code as "pure EPL 2.0" code and still benefit from the compatibility
feature - i.e. they can avoid having to worry about being careful not to be
seen as removing the upstream dual license feature.

Maybe I'm not reading it correctly or need a second cup of coffee but I'm not
really seeing how the above SPDX expression would be different from

(EPL-2.0 OR (GPL-2.0 WITH Classpath-exception-2.0)) though.

Richard