On Thu, Sep 07, 2017 at 01:28:07PM -0700, W. Trevor King wrote:
> It's not clear to if the Verbatim license is long enough to be
> copyrightably, but if it is I'd guess it's copyright 1989 by the FSF
> and self-licensed under the Verbatim license as a subset of the GPL
> 1.0 (unless someone can turn up an earlier reference).

Out of curiosity I searched a bit just now and found in the earliest
extant GCC release, apparently from 1988, the license (GNU CC General
Public License) has this slightly different meta-license:

Copyright (C) 1987 Richard M. Stallman
 Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim copies
 of this license, but changing it is not allowed.

There is no corresponding metalicense in the Emacs General Public
License, which I believe was the first of the proto-GPLs.

IHTBTG but ... if you want to go down this path, do you want to
consider such things as, say, the fact that the vast majority of the
other license texts recognized by SPDX have no explicit metalicense?
(I wonder if the idea of even nonfreely licensing the GPL license
texts was actually an innovation of the FSF.)

Richard