>> But you can't define a LicenseRef in sitations (like npm [1]) where the only
>> thing you can set is a license expression and you don't have access to the
>> broader
>> SPDX spec.
>> [1]: https://docs.npmjs.com/files/package.json#license

This is not a problem with the license expression language. It is a problem
with the SPDX identifier mechanism. LicenseRefs are SPDX's cornerstone way of
handling the many many non-standard license notices found every day in source
code. In the above example you don't need an "only" operator you need a way to
include LicenseRefs when using SPDX identifiers. LicenseRefs are so important
that they need to be addressed in the SPDX identifier mechanism independent of
your situation.

- Mark