Trevor,

Maybe I have missed it in the thread, but what are the terms the "Verbatim"
license would refer to?

Is it intended to refer to a specific set of licensing terms or just a
category of possible explicit or implicit licensing statements? For example
the licensing terms for redistributing the GPL as contained in the
GPL: "Everyone
is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim copies of this license
document, but changing it is not allowed." (If we are moving past the
licensing of a license and talking about other kind of content, then that
is probably a bad example.)

Nonetheless FSF use to recommend the following "Verbatim Copying and
Distribution" licensing statement for use with works that express an
opinion: "Verbatim copying and distribution of this entire article are
permitted worldwide, without royalty, in any medium, provided this notice
is preserved." [1] And that licensing statement was supplemented with
commentary: “Our intention in using the phrase ‘verbatim copying in any
medium’ is not to require retention of page headings and footers or other
formatting features. Retention of weblinks in both hyperlinked and
non-hyperlinked media (as notes or some other form of printed URL in
non-HTML media) is required.” But now the FSF recommends the CC BY-ND 4.0
instead. If one were to tag the content on say the FSF website as
"verbatim," does that help us understand what license the content is being
offered under? Unless verbatim means something specific it appears its
meaning could shift over time or from context to context.

If we mark FSF content as "verbatim" I can see three different licensing
terms to consider. Perhaps the differences in language don't matter in most
cases, but I can't image that they would never matter.

Having raised that question. I do think you are right that people should be
mindful to not just focus on the license of the source code in the package.
In my experience FOSS producers are frequently interested in licensing the
content that accompanies  the source code under different terms then the
source code. I have found this to be especially true of web applications,
where the producer wants to provide a working demo, is comfortable sharing
the source code under a FOSS license, but for some reason does not want to
give blanket permission to use or modify images. The license of a package
is often more complicated than just the license of the source code, and if
package contains other kinds of content such as documentation or default
content that are distributed under different terms should be recorded (or
split into a different package.) For example Facebook's React project
provides the source code for the library under a BSD copyright license [2]
but the example code under a non-FOSS license. [3] And the React
documentation is under a CC license [4]. (I am intentionally ignoring the
patent license and only referring to copyright licenses for sake of
simplicity.) Tagging all of the source code in the React git repo as being
under a permissive BSD copyright license since the examples are actually
under a really restrictive license.

As I said before though I continue to agree with other commenters that the
license of the license seems to me to be outside of the scope of SPDX.

-Marc

[1] https://www.gnu.org/licenses/licenses.html#VerbatimCopying
[2] https://github.com/facebook/react/blob/master/LICENSE
[3] https://github.com/facebook/react/blob/master/LICENSE-examples