On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 11:47:25AM -0700, Bradley M. Kuhn wrote:

> In
> the last week, I've talked to people who Conclude them as GPLvN-only.  I've
> also talked to people who Conclude them as GPLvN-or-later, where N is the
> version of the GPL that is put in the package directory.  In other words,
> the Conclusions are all over the map for these rather simple Declarations.
>
> So, my meta-conclusion is clear: the proposed solution of
> https://wiki.spdx.org/view/Legal_Team/only-operator-proposal#Proposed_Solution:_add_only_operator
> probably will work fine [0], but only for the LicenseConcluded field.  (In
> other words, I can't imagine any *Conclusions* that aren't covered by that
> group.)
>
> But, for *Declarations*, SPDX clearly needs some other identifier, which
> would usually only be used as Declared licenses.  Such an identifier would
> allow SPDX files (a) to better include all the information that was
> available to best inform those who look at the Declared license, (b)
> properly inform those making Conclusions, and (c) avoid the current
> situation that causes Conclusions about GPL licensing to appear in as a
> Declared license.
>
> I don't know what such an identifier should be, but it is *not*
> GPLvN-or-later; it's not GPLvN-only; it's not GPLvN+.  It's something else.

Hi Bradley, I agree with this, though I don't have any specific
suggestions. The existing and proposed set of identifiers don't seem
to adequately capture enough nuances of how GPL licensing is actually
indicated in code.

Also I think it should be recognized that determination of a
'Declared' license is actually an exercise in creativity and judgment,
sometimes as much as the determination of a 'Concluded' license.

Richard