Hi John, all,

Finally getting back to this important issue after 3 weeks of traveling.  As we
have made some progress with preparations for the next release otherwise, I’m
keen to try and sort out the final issues here, so we can include the resulting
changes in this release as well.  As it’s been some time, here is a link to my
original summary to which others responded:
https://lists.spdx.org/pipermail/spdx-legal/2017-October/002258.html
<https://lists.spdx.org/pipermail/spdx-legal/2017-October/002258.html>

As to deprecating the plain identifier - functionally, the only way to do this
- that I can see - is to have the “only” and “any later version” options
hard-coded into the license list for the GNU licenses, as they used to be, that
is:
- the current GPL-2.0 (which means “only) would be changed to GPL-2.0-only
- GPL-2.0+ which is currently created by using the + operator, would be added
back to the license list as a separate line item.
I think we had discussed this prior, but the issue of losing the + operator to
be used with other licenses could cause other problems.  What did not occur to
me, nor did we discuss, was the idea of doing the above for the GNU family of
licenses, but also keeping the + operator to be used with other licenses. This
would effectively treat the GNU family licenses differently, and also makes it
so the identifiers always indicate “only” or “any later version”.

As John notes below, the issue that seems to be preventing us from reaching a
solution is the example of finding a copy of the license text and how to
identify that accurately. At the file level, by way of example:
- COPYING.txt (text of GPL, version 2)
- source1.c (no license info)
- source2.c (no license info)
- source3.c (no license info)

In this case, I think everyone agrees that a scanning or human when identifying
the “license info in file” (just the facts, no conclusions/interpretations)
would use NOASSERTION for source1.c, source2.c, source3.c

The question we’ve been debating is how to identify the “license info in file”
for the COPYING.txt file - to this end, I had asked the FSF whether the license
alone has a default value of GPL-2.0-only or GPL-2.0+ (using the starting point
of GPL-2.0 because the actual license text of GPL, version 2 is present and
identifiable.

One of the concepts I seem to hear from John’s post below and others is that
the lack of any license notice in the files means those files are not licensed
at all. This is not what a court would find. Consider how software in its
common forms besides open source software specifically - I download a binary
software blob that has a license accompanying it in some way (e.g., a click
through or a license placed with the software, etc.) Just because the license
information or a license notice is not in the actual “file” does not mean there
is no license.  Likewise, in the example of above - if I found those files in
one repository and the repository owner tried to later sue me for infringement
based on the theory that the lack of license notice in each file meant I had no
license to use the files even though a license was provided in the obvious
place that licenses are provided - that argument would not hold legal water for
a number reasons.

If the FSF, as the license authors and stewards, stated that a “bare” license
defaults to “only” or “any later” version of the license provided - which I
think the FSF is entitled to do - then we could reflect that with the
appropriate identifiers along the lines of my idea above - could we not?

But, if the FSF would rather not do so and then we need a way to specifically
indicate “the license text was found in this file” - then I don’t understand
why the plain identifier as per the proposal is problematic. Sorry John! I’m
not trying to be difficult, but the plain identifier is needed to be able to
add operators to it (“only”, “+” or anything else we might come up with) so I
don’t see how we can completely deprecate it unless we “hard code” the “only”
and “later version” options (as I suggested above).  Also, the plain identifier
use in this case would be consistent with how every other license identifier is
used: if I find a copy of MIT - be it in a LICENSE.txt file or sourceN.c file -
it is identified as MIT, as the text of that license.

I think the thing that makes the GNU family of licenses different from other
licenses or potentially ambiguous in the case above is NOT what was found (the
license text of a specific license was found), nor even what version of the
license text was found, but the absence of specific additional statement
explicitly.

not sure if this helps, but at least getting the conversation going again!  I
think Trevor has a response with further info, which I’ll respond to in turn as
well.

Thanks,
Jilayne

SPDX Legal Team co-lead