John Sullivan:
> A key part is missing in the description of the original FSF proposal here
> though -- which is deprecating the existing GPL-2.0 and similar "plain"
> identifiers for GNU licenses so that the identifiers used always indicate
> whether the version is "only" or "any later".
>
> As I understand it, people had concerns with deprecating the plain
> identifiers because of situations where they (for example) find a copy of
> GPLv2, but no clear statement about whether the program is actually
> licensed under its terms.

Not exactly.  In many cases it's clearly licensed under GPLv2.
The issue is that often we don't know if "or any later version" applies.

> To address this, we suggested still deprecating the plain identifier but
> adding an ambiguous/unclear identifier that still indicates a copy of the GPL
> was found but does not mislead observers into thinking that there are
> sufficiently clear licensing statements along with it.

The proposal, as I understand it, is these license expressions have the
following meanings:
1. GPL-2.0 ONLY : GPL version 2.0 only.
2. GPL-2.0+ : GPL version 2 or any later version
3. GPL-2.0 : At least GPL version 2.0 applies. It may or may not be "or any
later version".  In practice, this is all most tools can report, because all
they can report is the presence of this license file (there may not *be* any
other information).

It'd be possible to report case #3 in other ways, e.g.:
* GPL-2.0 OR MAYBE GPL-2.0+
* GPL-2.0?
* GPL-2.0 AT LEAST
I *do* think it would be very odd to deprecate the license identifier
"GPL-2.0", especially since this license is in such active use AND is a basis
for many license expressions.  The proposal has the advantage that it
acknowledges reality - when people or tools report "GPL-2.0", in practice we
don't really know if "or later" applies (the SPDX spec, versus practice,
sometimes diverge on this point).

> I understand SPDX doesn't want to make legal judgments. Which is why it
> should indicate when there is uncertainty.

I agree that SPDX should *not* require people and tools to make *false* claims.
 So we need a way to not *force* people to make claims they don't believe.
Interpreting "GPL-2.0" as "GPL version 2 at least, not sure if it 'or later'
applies" seems like it gets there for the case under discussion.  I'd be happy
with other solutions too.

> We haven't changed our mind about what we do and don't support here;
> and I think we'd be open to other ways to indicate ambiguity/uncertainty,
> including possibly using NOASSERTION.

I disagree with using NOASSERTION in this case; that loses important
information.  99% of the time, knowing that it's licensed under the GPL version
2 at least is *more* than good enough.  There are cases where I care, of course
(e.g., if I'm linking it with Apache 2.0 licensed software).  But every legal
analysis costs time & money; people only want to invest where they *must* do
so.  If tools can report "I know GPL-2.0 at least is okay, and later versions
might be okay", that'd be best.

I do agree that it'd be great if projects would provide better licensing
information.  But I'm currently trying to convince people to add licensing
statements at *all*, due in part to complete obliviousness.  Adding license
files of *any* kind is a win right now.  Given that starting point, we should
not expect perfect licenses any time soon :-).

Thanks for your time!

--- David A. Wheeler