Background: The GSoC project idea Add New License Submittal Feature to
Online Tool is quite popular with students
<https://wiki.spdx.org/view/GSOC/GSOC_ProjectIdeas#Add_New_License_Submital_
Feature_to_Online_Tools>  - at least 4 proposals are in progress for this
one project.  Since we can only select one of the proposals, I would like to
add another project idea of similar scope and usefulness to the community as
an alternative project for students.  The deadline for submittals is coming
up quickly - next Tuesday 27th!

One concern I have with the proposal is there is some overlap in code
functionality with the existing license submittal project idea.  I
personally think it would be fine to have this overlap and allow some
duplication of code for the two projects.  Once the projects are complete,
we could have a separate task to refactor and reduce the duplication.

Action requested: For the legal team - please review the proposal below and
reply if you feel this tool proposal would be useful by end of day Friday.
For the technical team, please provide feedback if you feel this proposal
has too much technical overlap with the existing proposals.

Proposal:

Add a License XML Editor

The SPDX license list (see  <https://spdx.org/licenses/>
https://spdx.org/licenses/) is maintained by the SPDX legal team. The source
for the license list is maintained in the SPDX license-list-XML github
repository ( <https://github.com/spdx/license-list-XML>
https://github.com/spdx/license-list-XML). Making changes to the license
requires manually editing an XML file which can be challenging for
contributors not familiar with XML.

An online program could be created which would take as input a license XML
file uploaded from the client machine to the server.  The editor would allow
editing of all of the XML fields as well as the optional and alternate text
properties.  The editor would then save the changes and allow the updated
file to be downloaded to the user's client machine.  An optional feature
would be to allow the input to be an existing license in the repository and
automatically create a pull request with the changes.  Another optional
feature would be to allow copy/paste of the license XML text into a text
pane rather than uploading/downloading the file.

This project could be implemented in Python in the existing online tools.

Skills Needed

*        Development skills in the Python language

*        Knowledge of Git

*        Understanding of XML

Available Mentors

 <mailto:g...@sourceauditor.com> Gary O'Neall