From: "Richard Fontana" <rfont...@redhat.com>
To: "J Lovejoy" <opensou...@jilayne.com>
Cc: "SPDX-legal" <spdx-legal@lists.spdx.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2018 5:49:16 PM
Subject: Re: GPL Cooperation Commitment variations

We're not specifically planning to use the hypothetical SPDX identifier in
source files -- basically we just haven't considered the issue. Currently, I
know of one or two Red Hat-maintained projects that are using SPDX identifiers
in source files, but we haven't reached the point of generally recommending
this; for one of those two projects the desire to use SPDX identifiers came
from the developers.

I think there is a decent chance we will begin recommending use of
"SPDX-License-Identifier:" (or, at the very least, SPDX identifiers in source
files) at some point in the foreseeable future. On my team we've certainly had
a number of discussions about it. I am definitely personally moving towards
seeing it as a good idea. However as you can imagine that would be a big step
for us :-) If that were to happen, we would certainly want to use the
hypothetical future SPDX identifier for GPLCC in source files of those projects
adopting GPLCC.

As for using the hypothetical GPLCC identifier in SPDX documents, we currently
have no foreseeable plans to generate or make use of SPDX documents, but that
too is a topic we continue to explore.

Richard